Thursday, August 2, 2012

Remember when...


Remember when…

I would entertain you with my crazy gym stories?
or
Workout like a fierce animal?

I do and I can’t believe that I have not posted something in so long…my dedication sort of fell when school got out and summer vacation started being more important than working out.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?  Why would I destroy all the hard work that I put in over that last year?

 So I gained back 6 pounds…booo! I did however start doing the “Couch to 10k” program.  I think some of my motivation got lost when I would do the same things every day.   Spin class 9 times a week…the killer leg machine after…it was crazy.


 I needed to do something that I have been putting off… RUNNING! Basically my excuse of my boobs are too big or I’m too big or I just can’t was busted when I visited the south last month. I witnessed the most inspiring bunch of ladies.  One in particular we shall call her “cocoa bean” brought me to tears as she crossed the finish line no easy task…I am usually one hardcore bitch with a lot of bottled up emotions.  There is nothing more motivating than someone completing such a big accomplishment in her life.  She swam, she biked and she ran the heck out of that race.  Cocoa bean doesn’t like when people call her inspiring but she is and she will just have to deal with it. 

So with such an inspiring person to look up to I decided to start completing the (Couch to 10K) program.  Monday I started and now here’s the story…

I went to the gym with Ash, we started talking about doing it on the way down to the gym.  We downloaded the app and got on the treadmills.  I am not going to lie I was sweating like crazy…I don’t think I ran since high school and that was over 15 years ago…I remember running around the fucking track heart beating, and rib pain, legs dying while Mr. Hanlon and Mr. Gerick would yell mean things at the un-athletic individuals.  I was one of those children! Anyway…I went a little off topic there.

 The program starts with a 5 minute warm up then 60 seconds jogging and 90 seconds walking repeating till the last 5 minute cool down after 30 minutes and builds up to an hour…I kept thinking please god don’t let me fall off this damn machine.  5..4..3..2..1.. turned up the speed and took off like a rocket. Ok really it was like a 900 pound man trying to get up to reach his chicken wings…it was slow going and pretty pathetic but I was moving at more of a walking pace so give me a little credit…geez! Ahhhh 90 seconds of walking…so nice then the fucking jogging again…Ash kept saying “you got this!” I so had this I finished the cycle.  I was sweating like a damn pig and breathing so heavy my lungs felt like they were going to explode.  I DID IT THOUGH AND I FELT AWESOME THAT NIGHT!!! 

As soon as I left the gym I promptly texted Magnum to tell him what I just did!  Of all the people I know he is the only one who would actually give me honest feedback.  I texted… “I just ran on the treadmill…yay!!!” He replies “lol congrats” but I know in his mind he was thinking what the fuck do I care…and you have been so lazy for so long…damn right you should be on the treadmill running…only it should have been 4 months ago.  So a simple text turns into a form of motivation.  I know it’s crazy and fucked up but you need to know Magnum to really understand a simple text like just congrats there is always so much more than just that. In a roundabout way I am happy to have met such an honest person who can see through my bullshit. 

The aftermath…I was in so much pain the next day I could hardly get out of bed.  I’m the kind of person that will blame everything in the world till I admit that I just am out of shape…the shoes suck the treadmill must have been broken…people such as ash see right through me and said just do it when we went the next day.  I finished the second session and my legs were burning but I did it and I am happy that I started this.  I actually didn’t mind running the second time. 

Friday brings on a weekend vacation so I will have to run outside.  Yikes! I could take the easy way out and just run/walk on the flat surface but I think I am going to challenge myself tomorrow and do the hills.  We shall see!


No comments: